The Vaxxed emotional appeal, not supported by scientific evidence, can and will put kids at risk. To help those of you who will see the movie, I’ve created a flier to hand out to attendees that refutes much of the misinformation presented in the documentary.
The goal of this flier is to provide a concise explanation of some of the problems with the movie Vaxxed, with links for those who want to delve deeper or see the support for the points made. Use it however you need to.
Some ways I think it might be useful are:
- If you are protesting or attending a screening and want to provide a short handout to help counter the movie’s misinformation.
- If you want to explain to people who have or have not seen the movie why it is not a good source of information – including friends, policy maker, or theaters considering whether to show it.
I hope this handout helps. Please also note Dawn Pedersen’s wonderful flier on the movie: http://dawnsbrain.com/vaxxed-counter-flyer/
Vaxxed emotional appeal – flier
Vaxxed: Misleading Appeal to Emotion that Puts Kids at Risk
Vaxxed falsely claims a link between MMR and autism in African American children. This is false because:
- Studies in millions of children from all around the world failed to find such a link. http://www.vaccinateyourbaby.org/safe/research.cfm#02
- Even the study in question did not find such a link when proper methods applied.
- The only basis for link is a study by an anti-vaccine activist who is not an epidemiologist or expert on vaccines that was so bad it was retracted.
- For an analysis of this, see: http://www.harpocratesspeaks.com/2014/09/mmr-cdc-and-brian-hooker-media-guide.html
Vaxxed claims there is a conspiracy by the CDC to hide the link between vaccines and autism:
- The documents that allegedly support this conspiracy are now publicly available, and do not. The documents, complete with an analysis, can be found here: https://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/2016/01/04/the-william-thompson-documents-theres-no-whistle-to-blow/
- The studies regarding MMR and autism are from all over the world.
Vaxxed claims vaccines are tested less thoroughly than other pharmaceuticals. In fact, vaccines are tested and monitored more carefully:
- See: http://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/making-vaccines/process-vaccine-development#.VzzIcGO0HEw
- In the context of Vaxxed, see: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/anti-vaccine-doc-vaxxed-a-882651
Andrew Wakefield, director of Vaxxed, has a documented history of misrepresentations and was found guilty of serious ethical violations and struck off the medical register by the British General Medical Council. He is not a credible source of information on vaccines and this movie reinforces it.
For a list of reviews of Vaxxed, see:
Easy-to-print one page pdf file: Problems with Vaxxed.
Please help me out by sharing this article. Also, please comment below, whether it's positive or negative. Of course, if you find spelling errors, tell me!
There are two ways you can help support this blog. First, you can use Patreon by clicking on the link below. It allows you to set up a monthly donation, which will go a long way to supporting the Skeptical Raptor.
Finally, you can also purchase anything on Amazon, and a small portion of each purchase goes to this website. Just click HERE, and shop for everything.