Shocking news once again–a new Gallup poll claims that the rate of acceptance of evolution in the United States is “essentially unchanged” over the past few years. The recent poll from Gallup asked “which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin an development of human beings:”
- 32% of the respondents accepted “Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process,”
- 15% accepted “Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process,” and
- 46% accepted “God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so.”
Only 15% of Americans accept the absolutely scientific principle of evolution, a number that is unbelievably tiny. Most of this country accepts either theistic evolution, that is evolution happened pretty much as describe by science, but that some supernatural being is involved in the process, or accepts that the creation of the earth is described by the biblical myth of Genesis, a brand of belief called Young Earth Creationism, although it includes the pseudoscientific intelligent design. If any of you don’t understand why state legislatures can get away with pushing religion and creationism into public schools, it’s probably because most Americans support these efforts.
Demographic differences in acceptance of the science of evolution varies between and within groups.
- Republicans: 58% think the earth is only 10,000 years old, while only 5% accept the scientific fact of evolution
- Democrats: 41% creationist, while 19% accept science (still low)
- High school education or lower: 52% accept creationism, while 11% accept scientific fact of evolution
- College education: 46% accept creationism, 14% accept evolution
- Post-graduate: 25% accept creationism, and 29% accept evolution.
- In other words, higher education means more skepticism towards religious beliefs superseding real science.
Please comment below, positive or negative. Of course, if you find spelling errors, tell me! And share this article.
There are two ways you can help me out to keep this website awesome. First, you can make a monthly contribution through Patreon:Become a Patron!
Buy ANYTHING from Amazon.